High School Sports Roundup
Friday, November 02, 2012
In Volleyball the Christ the King (CTK) girls volleyball team hit a bump in league play when Strathcona Christian defeated them 3 games to one. Both teams are now tied for first place in Pool A action with one more game before playoffs begin. Both squads will begin league playoffs hosting a quarterfinal match on Monday Nov. 5th.
Currently the Leduc Comp girls are tied for third and will host either St. Joseph or J.H Picard also on Nov 5th, depending on their final league game results.
Meanwhile the Leduc Comp boys are tied with Strathcona Christian for second place going into this week’s action. Holding second place will be difficult, as Leduc will be playing the top two teams in league standings. Boys’ quarterfinals will also begin on Nov 5th.
In Football action the Leduc Comp Tigers faced the St. Francis Xavier (SFX) squad in Semi-final action on Friday Oct 26th. The Tigers took a huge bite out of SFX Rams as the Tigers roared to a 49 to 17 victory
In other Semi-final action the Beaumont Bandits faced the Holy Trinity Trojans. The Bandits were not able to pull off a win and fell to Holy Trinity 16 to 7.
Leduc will now meet Holy Trinity for the league championship on Saturday, Nov 3rd at Foote Field. Game time is scheduled for a 11:30am start!
The Leduc Comp Tigers dominated the league’s individual stats during league play. The top rusher was Tiger’s Ryland Stubbs with 758 yards on 67 carries for 7 touchdowns. In receiving Sean Gregs has 191 yards on 10 receptions and quarterback Brodie Bernier has 307 yards on 14 completions on 37 attempts and 3 touchdowns. To date Brodie has been intercepted only once.
On the defensive side of the ball Branden Modin leads the Tigers with 26 tackles and 14 assists while Logan Cassidy follows with 16 tackles and 17 assists. Logan and Braden rank in the top seven defensive players in the league.
- Leduc Takes Title The Leduc Comp Boys Volleyball Team concluded a successful season when they traveled to Bev Facey in Sherwood Park to defeat the Bellerose Bulldogs on Friday, November 15th in the Metro Edmonton High School Athletic Association’s ...
- Breton Frozen Out The Breton Cougars’ semifinal game against the Rimbey Spartans was postponed from Saturday, November 16th to Monday, November 18th due to the snowstorm that made travelling too dangerous for the teams. Monday wasn’t ...
- Wetaskiwin Special Olympics Awarded At the Special Olympics Annual General Meeting held in Edmonton, the Wetaskiwin Special Olympics won top honours in four categories this year. Male Athlete of the Year Shaun Pydde ...
- Icemen Win! Mitchell Bowie moves the puck in a 5-0 Icemen win over Leduc Riggers this past Sunday. Icemen goal scores were Dawson Kress, Joshua Swampy, Courage Omeasoo, Keaton White, Corey Bowie. Photo by Byron Weaver.
- Anyone For Some Karate? From left to right: Dale Lambrecht, Sensei Jerry Marr and Dale Carlson. Photo by Randy Patrick. The Peace Hills Karate Club of Wetaskiwin held a training seminar this past weekend with Winnipeg based Sensei Jerry Marr as ...